MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
ABOUT MICROBLADING & POWDER/ OMBRE BROWS
Microblading is a form of semi-permanent makeup that involves a trained professional using a sterile tool comprised of tiny needles to manually break the skin in order to deposit pigment that creates individual hair strokes. These individual hair strokes create a natural looking brow that can last anywhere from 18-24 months depending on skin type (normal, oily, dry). If you are very oily, microblading may not be for you, as your natural oils will push the pigment out of your skin faster and may require a touchup within 9 months.
The powder technique utilizes a specially designed semi-permanent makeup pen to quickly deposit pigment into the brow to create a powder like effect. This technique can also be used to create ombre brows. Perfect for all skin types, especially oily skin, the powder technique can be combined with microblading to create a softer looking brow.
Contraindications (those not eligible for microblading, microblading, powder/ombre brows or lip micro-pigmentation services)
- If you are under the age of 18, we cannot provide you with microblading services even if you have a parent’s consent.
- Individuals using blood thinners of any kind, especially long term, or those with blood disorders may have difficulty with bleeding and/or bruising and this can affect the healing process. The application of semi-permanent makeup requires implanting color into the skin, and the aforementioned conditions could interfere with depositing the color. You must consult your doctor and provide documentation from your physician stating you are cleared to receive microblading services.
- Diabetics may experience a more difficult time with healing and must obtain written consent from a physician stating your health will not be compromised should you undergo the semi-permanent makeup procedure.
- If you are prone to keloids, this procedure may not be for you. A small area can be tested to ensure microblading won’t cause such issues and must be done 4 weeks prior to your appointment date.
- The use of Retin-A or similar retinoids must be stopped 7 days prior to your procedure and cannot resume for another 30 days after.
- If you have an Auto Immune Disease, please consult your physician and obtain a letter stating you are cleared to receive microblading.
Those who suffer from epilepsy need a physicians approval prior procedure.
- Brows are cleansed.
- Pictures are taken.
- We go over all paperwork together and discuss what to expect from the appointment, as well as, your aftercare instructions.
- Natural brows are assessed and pigment colors are swabbed on forehead to choose the best natural color and we go over where your natural brows begin, peak and end.
- Shape is drawn on to provide a guideline for where the hair strokes are placed and both client and artists will agree upon the best shape and stray hairs are removed.
- Numbing is applied prior microblading procedure. For ombre/powder, it is applied after skin is opened.
- Work begins on brows with the artist reposting color into your brow via microblading hand tool or ombre/powder brow machine.
- During the process, additional numbing agent is applied to reduce discomfort.
- Once complete, after photos are taken.
- Client received aftercare kit for at home use.
The entire process is approximately 2 1/2 hours for microblading and 3 1/2 hours for ombre/powder.
*Your touch-up appointment is scheduled for approximately 4-6 weeks after initial appointment for optimal results. (Please see additional note about touch-up below.)
While everyone’s pain tolerance varies, we do our best to minimize any discomfort you may feel by using topical numbing agents. You are welcome to take an Advil or Tylenol prior to your appointment, but NOT Aspirin.
Ladies, your sensitivity increases when you are menstruating. Please keep this in mind when booking your appointments.
- Your brows WILL BE DARKER the day after your session for up to 7-10 days while you’re healing.
- Scabbing/flaking is normal and will vary from client to client. During this process you may lose pigment. This is normal. Please DO NOT pick or peel your brows, as you can remove all of your pigment. Let them peel on their own.
Aftercare Instructions: (detailed instructions will be provided during appointment)
- Avoid submerging your face in water (includes the shower, pools, beach, etc) for 14 days. If you need to clean your brows, do so by only using water on a clean cloth and patting the brows.
- Apply skin protectant for 14 days. The protectant will be supplied to you the day of your appointment.
- No aspirin or alcohol 48 hours prior to your appointment or for the first 3 days after your session.
- DO NOT peel or pick at your brows during the healing process, as it may damage the skin and prematurely remove pigment.
- Avoid eyebrow tinting for 48 hours before and at least 2 weeks after your session.
- Avoid excessive sweating (WORKING OUT), pools, sun tanning and tanning beds for 14 days.
Do NOT ever use any anti-aging products, exfoliants (chemical or mechanical) or Retin A on or around the brow area.
AHA’s: (lactic, glycolic, citric, retinoic and tartaric acids) or any OTC creams and lotions for tone correcting, anti-aging, exfoliating, fading can discolor your permanent makeup.
Flu or Cold: Please stay home, reschedule your appointment if you have cold or flu or sinus/respiratory infection.
Coumadin: Amount of bleeding and response to topical epinephrine will determine coverage per appointment. If excessive bleeding occurs, extra appointments may be necessary for desired outcome or procedure may not be effective.
Cancers/Chemotherapy: Doctor's clearance may be necessary.
Juvederm or other "fillers": Get permanent makeup first or ask your juvederm tech for clearance.
Shingles (varicella): If you have shingles on your face, wait several months to get permanent makeup.
Eyelift or blepharoplasty: Wait about 3 months.
COLORLAB’S CANCELLATION POLICY
A debit or credit card is required to reserve an appointment and will be charged at least 50% of the cost of the service to reserve your selected appointment date and time. This deposit is non-refundable but is transferable should you provide at least 24 hours notice for cancellations. Anything less than 24 hours notice will be subject to forfeiture of the deposit.
Training/ Academy deposits vary depending on the class and are non-refundable but transferable up to one time before forfeiting 100% of the deposit.
COLORLAB’S LATE ARRIVAL POLICY
While we understand life happens, we are only able to give a 15 minute grace period should you be running late, and your service time will be reduced by 15 minutes where possible. Please understand we must be respectful of our other clients’ time, as well as, our own personal time. Arriving more than 15 minutes late will be considered a no-show and you will be subject to our cancellation policy above. Thank you for your understanding.
NO CHILDREN OR ADDITIONAL GUESTS ALLOWED DURING YOUR APPOINTMENTS
Our goal is to always provide a peaceful, loving environment, so please adhere to the no children or additional guests guidelines, as we must strictly enforce this to ensure the tranquility of our boutique spa space for all guests receiving services. Any client’s not adhering to this request will forfeit their deposit and will not be serviced. No exceptions.